7 October 2010

UK property buyers are being urged to check for subsidence when viewing potential homes. Homebuyers should find out from the Land Registry whether property in the local area has been, or could potentially be, affected by subsidence.

The recommendation, made by moneysupermarket.com, also advises buyers that the most common sign of a problem is with cracks in a wall, especially around door frames or windows.

Julie Owens, moneysupermarket.com head of home insurance, commented: "Homeowners or buyers should only be alarmed when cracks are wider than a 10p coin, or where the cracks are wider at the top than at the bottom."

She also said to contact insurance companies immediately if this type of fault was found. They can then assess the damage.


Back to index